Saturday, July 23, 2011


What Other Developers Have Asked

Questions other Oracle developers have asked ...
What is the answer of 100+null=? in SQL?  I want to know the answer of this question..
100+null=? in sql

This is a question that goes to the heart of SQL. What is NULL? Null in Oracle means ...
In my Oracle database I have a table with more than 100 columns, what would be the impact of adding more columns?  Hi,

I am using Oracle database and i want to upgrade my table with more than 150 columns in it, will you please articulate me that what would be the ...
Take backup without SYSDBA and SYSOPER login in system?  I have question about taking backup of database in ORACLE 10g. In my project I created one application in my mobile which only accepts user name and password ...
Capturing column value through returning clause while inserting data into a table in Oracle  Question:
I have a table in my Oracle database defined as follows:

create table my_tab(
a number primary key
, b varchar2(10)
, c date default ...
How can I print the value of a variable declared in an outer Oracle PL/SQL block from an inner one?   I have a variable, (say 'A') declared in a pl/sql block. In an inner pl/sql block I declared another variable 'A'. Now how can i print the value of outer ...
Help with using Oracle SQL MERGE statement  Can you please provide advice on the following: I am trying to update the table wn_termlist so that it contains all termid's from the table sa_term against ...
Is there any way to determine if the ORA_ROWSCN number in a table in Oracle is corrupted?  I have found that the ORA_ROWSCN number for some of the records in a table in my Oracle database is showing as 1, but when I ran a query with the condition ...
Can I use an Oracle exception like dup val on index to detect if the record exists within the table?  Can I use an Oracle exception like dup val on index to detect if the record exists within the table?

I'm loading a fact table in a data mart and I ...
Accessing blobs from an Oracle database in a Delphi 7 program  Hi, I create table in oracle 10g xe as:
create table empblob(
empno int,
name varchar2(30),
pic blob);

How can I insert and manage blob files this ...
what is ref cursor?  What is a PL/SQL ref cursor? What is the purpose and where the situation we use Ref cursor in our application?

A ref cursor in Oracle PL/SQL is ...
What are the advantages of using joins in Oracle?  I'd like to know what are the advantages or disadvantages of using joins over sub queries in Oracle

To answer this question let's first define a subquery....
How to convert more than seven digit to words using sql ?  I want to convert total salary received during the year into words. How do I do this using SQL?

You won't be able to do this in pure SQL. You would ...
How to run an executable from an Oracle Trigger
From: Sean - Hi, is it possible to run an executable file from an Oracle trigger? I haven't been able to find any documentation on how to do this - please ...


in Oracle how can I display the LENGTH of the last_name for all employees whose names start with the letter "A" "J" "M"   From Ayah, Port Harcourt
I am working with Oracle 11G and want to display the last name of an employee from the employees table,with the first letter ...
How can I get the 2nd or the 3rd highest value from a table in an Oracle database?  Question: For example, using the emp table in the sample schema in Oracle, how would I retrieve just the 2nd or 3rd highest salary?

Answer:
There ...


Can't understand warnings in this simple PL/SQL function  Question:
I am using Oracle 10g with SqlDeveloper. When I execute the following code, it says

"FUNCTION wafadar compiled Warning: execution completed ...
assistance with an SQL Query - Help on retrieving null values  SELECT Distinct
persmain.IDENTIFIER ClientNo,
initcap(nvl(ltrim(persmain.FIRST_NAMES||' '||persmain.FAMILY_NAME),'Not Recorded')) NAME,
REPLACE(...
How do I create an Oracle PL/SQL function FUTUREDATE which accepts 4 parameters - first one is a date, rest are integers - to calculate the new date?  Here is the PL/SQL function:

create or replace FUNCTION FutureDate (
  p_date IN date,
  p_year in int,
  p_month ...
How to convert local PL/SQL table to table I can select from  Question:

I am trying to figure out how I can convert an Oracle PL/SQL local table (of numbers) to a table that I can select from.

I want to pass ...
While inserting 10 rows into an Oracle database using a procedure, if the 3rd entry has an error, what will be the output? How can we handle that error? How can we restart from the 4th record?  While inserting 10 rows into an Oracle database using a procedure, if the 3rd entry has an error, what will be the output? How can we handle that error?...
Oracle index types  What are the different types of indexes in Oracle? Please give examples for all indexes.

There are several types of indexes available in Oracle all ...
connecting to different databses in oracle?  I am using Oracle DBCA for creating a new database. While creating new database it asks for hostname & SID. The hostname of my system is empmngt & SID ...
Content Management Systems for Oracle  Hi,

Any pointers on cost effective content management software, which can be easily integrated with Oracle EBS R12 1.3 and its key features. Client ...
Explain Plan (How to Say Query is Bad by seeing the Explain Plan Statastics)  Hi

We are facing some performance issues in few reports .This is making huge impacts on the servers going down. We have been recommended not to execute ...
What are Oracle Utilities?  There are a number of Oracle utilities supplied with the database, the majority of which are concerned with loading data into or extracting data from the ...
What is the difference between nested queries & set theory in SQL?  If we can write SQL queries in nested way what is the need to go complex way of relational calculus. One more thing - which one is faster?

It seems ...
What is difference between the truncate and delete statements in SQL?  The biggest difference between issuing a delete statement and issuing a truncate table statement against a table in Oracle is in what happens if you ...
Problem using SQL Rollup clause in Oracle  Question:

I am using the employees table in the HR schema in the sample Oracle database and I want the data to display in this format:

Deptno ...
Oracle PL/SQL and Oracle Forms Developer Certification  I am working with ASP.Net and Oracle database, so I have decided to go for Oracle certification i.e Oracle PL/SQL and Oracle Forms Developer. I would ...
Oracle certification help   I have experience with mysql but I am new to Oracle so I am thinking of taking the Oracle certification.
I heard that there is : Oracle Database ...
Oracle Forms Tab Canvasses Query  Is it possible in Oracle Forms 10g to create a tab-based form and have these dependent on the User? i.e. If four different tabs are created in one form ...
How to add caption to a table in Oracle using sql?  We have no idea what captions are in relation to Oracle. A search on http://www.oracle.com and on the Oracle Technology Network (including all the ...
What's the difference between a trigger and a procedure in Oracle PL/SQL?  To answer this we need to start with the definitions - a procedure (or function) in Oracle may be written in either PL/SQL or Java and stored in the database ...
Is there a limit to the number of tables we can join in Oracle?  Question: How many tables can we join in Oracle?

There is no hard limit on the number of tables that you can join in a single query in Oracle. There ...
How to generate more than 1 blank space between 2 variables in Oracle plsql
The following Oracle pl/sql code

set serveroutput on
declare
v_nam employees.last_name%type;
v_sal employees.salary%type;
cursor emp_cursor ...
What are PL/SQL triggers?  What are triggers? Why do we use before and after in triggers?

Oracle PL/SQL triggers are named and (usually) small pieces of code that are run (fired)...
stop trigger
In this PL/SQL trigger I want when stock.quantity=0 to stop inserting into the purchase table in the Oracle database

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER f_trig
...
How to insert existing data to another table in Oracle
Hi
I have two tables in my Oracle database:

CREATE TABLE product (
product_id INT,
product_name VARCHAR2(25) NOT NULL,
product_price NUMBER(...

Click here to write your own.


I need a sample schema please help!!!!  I need a sample schema for my database with tables, indexes, sequences etc. all queries in it in .txt(.doc,.pdf etc.). Can you help? Thank you.

The ...
What is Oracle Performance Tuning?  Please explain about Oracle Performance Tuning

Oracle Performance Tuning is a very big subject (whole books have been written on it) so we can't possibly ...
How to count how many 'm's exist in a row in my table in Oracle  This is the table definition and a sample of data.

create table newtable(
SAA varchar2(30),
s1 varchar2(1),
s2 varchar2(1),
s3 varchar2(1),
s4 ...
What are user defined data types in Oracle?  In short, user defined types in Oracle are more complex data types based on the built-in (standard) data types and can be used in both PL/SQL and in SQL....
How can I select a primary and secondary row from the same table in Oracle?  I have a table with county codes that has columns of county code and description. Each county has 2 rows. One has county_code as 2 letters and 3 numbers ...
I need a sample Oracle database for practice  I am new to Oracle and I want to learn sql and pl/sql programming. Is there a sample database that I can practice on?

You can download the small ...
Can you provide some interview questions for sql and pl/sql?  Could you provide a link or a file that contains sql and pl/sql interview questions with answers? I'm going for an interview next week for a sql support ...
How do I load data from Excel into an Oracle table?  I have a compressed Excel file and I want to extract the file and load the data in to an Oracle table. Is there any utility or package available in pl/...
What is the difference between a normal query and a subquery in SQL?  What is the difference between a normal query and a subquery?

The difference between "normal" queries and subqueries is just semantics. A subquery ...
Data conversion functions in oracle?  QUESTION: What are the data conversion functions in Oracle?

ANSWER: Oracle has a large number of conversion functions (for example) to convert dates ...
What is Oracle metadata?  From Neelima - what is metadata?

The short answer is that metadata is data about data. In other words Oracle needs to store data to keep track of ...
How do indexes work internally in Oracle?  There are several types of index available for use in Oracle databases, the most common ones (in our experience) are B-tree (balanced tree) indexes, function-...
Problem connecting to Oracle "as sysdba" from Oracle SQL Developer
I have an Oracle 10g XE database running on Windows Vista and I want to connect "as sysdba" from Oracle SQL Developer. When I test the connection I ...
How will we know that all the records have been inserted into our Oracle database table?  Question: We will be inserting 10 million records into a table in our Oracle database. How will we know that all the records have been inserted into our ...
Oracle performance tuning  From Jamuna, Hyderbad - what are the performance tuning steps in Oracle?

Oracle performance tuning is a big subject - there have been whole books ...
What is view in Oracle?  Question: what is a view and how many types of views are there in Oracle?

We'll answer the 2nd part first to make it easier to answer the 1st part....
How can I change the defult date format in oracle10g enterprise?  Question: I use alter session & NLS_DATE_FORMAT, but it's not working.

The ALTER SESSION in Oracle SQL only affects the current session (as the ...
What is the pragma autonomous_transaction in PL/SQL?  From Jamuna, Hyderbad - What is the AUTONOMOUS_TRANSACTION pragma in Oracle PL/SQL?

PRAGMA's are directives for the Oracle PL/SQL compiler. The AUTONOMOUS_TRANSACTION ...
What will happen if we do not close a cursor in PL/SQL  From Jamuna, Hyderbad - With Oracle pl/sql if an explicit cursor is opened and we do not close the cursor what will happen? Will the programme run?

The ...
Question about using foreign key constraints in Oracle  From Apoorva - I am doing SQL / PLSQL course for Oracle. Right now, I am doing SQL and have came across a problem. Following is the SQL statement :

CREATE ...
Problem with Oracle SQL performance  From: Paramesh in Singapore - We are using Oracle and I have a problem with SQL. We are retrieving data from 6 tables using joins (returning approximately ...
Do you have any tips on Oracle performance tuning?  Question:
I have been doing large inserts on a couple of tables in my Oracle database and the performance has been degrading by the minute.

Answer:...
Please tell me about constraints in oracle  QUESTION:

What are the various types of constraints in oracle (table level and column level) and what is the difference?

ANSWER:
There are 6 ...
Oracle export problem   QUESTION:

We have a table (Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production) with following data:


2 137 ebpreiss
3 8634 ...
I require assistance with an SQL query  Question:

Record name is TREE. The two fields are PARENT & CHILD.

It's a tree structure i.e.
PARENT = 0001
CHILD = 2000
CHILD = 3000
PARENT ...




List storedprocedures or database objects by last modified date
Checking SQL Server Edition Version

Listing Tables and Columns in SQL 2005 using Information Schema


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Deep's | Bloggerized by Deep - Deep's Templates | ElearSQL-Server